The Aberfoyle Slate Quarries were located north of Aberfoyle. After arrival of the railway in 1882 a tramway, with a steep incline out of Aberfoyle, was installed running to the quarries. The quarries predated the railway and tramway, possibly opening in the early 1700s or even earlier.
The quarries closed not long after the railway closed. A drop in movement of slate by rail partly led to the railway's closure.
The tramway was opened in 1885 (Glasgow Herald) and closed some time before the 1950s.
Port of Menteith
Callander Ticket Platform
| Aberfoyle Shed|
Forth Viaduct [Gartmore]
Kelty Water Bridge
Pass of Leny North Viaduct
Lake of Menteith
Inch Talla Castle
Port of Menteith Pier
Falls of Leny
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1947||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway|
Tramway from Aberfoyle station to Aberfoyle Quarries closed.
|/ /1958||Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway|
Aberfoyle Quarries closed.