Craigs Crossing

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Craigs Crossing (1848-1885)

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.

Description

This level crossing was south of Stirling station and Stirling Shed [CR]. It was taken out in 1885, around the same time as the Shore Road level crossings north of the station were taken out (Shore Road Level Crossing [CR] and Shore Road Level Crossing [NB] were taken out in 1887/88).

The level crossing was with 'The Craigs', a road still to be found in Stirling, to the west of here. The south end of the Stirling Shed [CR] was close to the shed, on the east side of the line, and Craigs Siding was also to the north, on its west side.

There was a signal box here.

The level crossing was replaced by a new road bridge to the south carrying Kerse Road. This allowed the shed to become double ended by adding a new approach from the south, allowed the Craigs sidings to be extended and clearly improvement arrangements for both rail and road traffic.

A new signal box, Stirling South Signal Box, opened to the south, south of the Kerse bridge, in 1885.

Tags

Signal box level crossing 07/07/2019

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)