Dunfermline (Lower) (1890-1969)
Dunfermline [3rd] (1969-2005)
Dunfermline Town (2005-)
Opened on the West of Fife Railway and Harbour.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This is a two platform station with the main station building on the down platform.
The station replaced Dunfermline (Comely Park), which was essentially on the same site aligned a little further east. This was a three platform station - two mainline platforms, the up platform being an island with another face. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached by reversal. The third platform is abandoned and the goods yard is now a car park.
The signal box was at the east end of the main station building. It opened on the existing 1866 line in 1877 with the opening of Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway from Charlestown Junction (a little way south west of the station) to North Queensferry [1st].
The box closed in 1978.
Dunfermline Abbey is about half a mile to the west.08/05/2019
Dunfermline (Comely Park)
Dunfermline Queen Margaret
Charlestown Goods Signal Box
Other railway and industry locations
Dunfermline Tram Depot
Elbowend Junction [1st]
Touch North Junction
Touch South Junction
St Leonard^s Works (Linen Damask)
Dunfermline Carnegie Library
Dunfermline Abbey and Palace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|