Stirling South Shed

Location type

Loco shed

Names and dates

Stirling Shed [CR] (1848-1950)
Stirling South Shed (1950-1966)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.


Also known as Burghmuir or Stirling South. This four road shed was south of Stirling station, on the east side of the line. Access was from both directions.

It replaced a two road shed, approached from the south, which was a little further north than the better known shed.

When first opened the later building was a single ended shed. Craigs Crossing (a level crossing) was just to the south. After the crossing was replaced by a bridge further south an approach was added at the south end. Stirling South Signal Box replaced the former box at the Craigs.

In 1950 the shed was renamed Stirling South Shed.

British Railways assigned the code 63B and sub sheds Loch Tay Shed and Shore Road Shed [NB] (Stirling Shed [NB]). After 1960 it was re-coded as 65J.

Mostly a goods engine shed also providing banking uphill from Stirling through Bridge of Allan to Dunblane.

The shed closed in 1966 and the site used as locomotive storage and later as staging sidings until the 1990s. The sidings have now largely been cleared.




  /  /1950Scottish Central Railway
Stirling Shed [CR] renamed Stirling South Shed.
  /  /1951Scottish Central Railway
New Stirling South Shed round-house is set-out with a turntable from Polmadie Shed, however the work is abandoned and demolished.
  /04/1960Scottish Central Railway
Stirling South Shed coded 65J from Eastfield Shed.
13/06/1966Scottish Central Railway
Stirling South Shed closed to steam. Shortly afterwards the allocation is transferred to Grangemouth Shed and the shed closed.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)