This was an important single ended shed with 16 roads, approached from the east. It was located north of the former Polloc and Govan Railway. It was an important shed around two miles south east of Glasgow Central, ideally located where many lines met.
The shed was rebuilt several times, notably around 1923 and in the 1940s. Both times the yard was also rearranged.
With the later rebuilding the repair shop was in the north part of the building, separated from the running shed by offices and stores. Coaling plant and ash disposal were provided in the yard. There was a yard box within the lines at the east end.
British Railways assigned the code 66A with sub sheds Motherwell Shed and Paisley St James Shed.
After closure in 1967 the site was redeveloped as a diesel and electric traction maintenance depot. The site is now Polmadie Depot.
South Side [CR]
South Side [GB and NDR]
Main Street Gorbals
| Polmadie Depot|
Polmadie Signal Box
Queens Park Locomotive Works
Polmadie Mineral Sidings
Mallsmire Firebrick Works
Govan Colliery Pit No 5
Govan Coal work
Govan Colliery Pit No 6
Central Station Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||William Smith Dixon
Polloc and Govan Railway|
William Smith Dixon gives the railway permission to build a new locomotive shed (Polmadie Shed), so long as it did not disturb Dixons own railway (Govan Iron Works Railway) which ran through an old quarry and was used for dumping slag and a level crossing over Polmadie Road to part of the Govan Colliery.
|/ /1872||Govan Iron Works Railway|
Dixon's Private Railway or Govan Iron Works Railway authorised to pass underneath the Polloc and Govan Railway on a new alignment (replacing an older alignment) west of Polmadie Shed, running from Govan Iron Works (north) to the colliery (south).
|10/12/1872||Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Two road shed at Baillieston Shed opened in connection with Bredisholm and Baillieston pits. Sub-shed of Polmadie Shed.
|25/09/1873||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Decide to build the new Polmadie Shed discussed with William Dixon Ltd.
|30/12/1873||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Railway buys land for a new Polmadie Shed, Rutherglen, from William Dixon Ltd for £12,750.
|29/12/1874||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Signal box at the new Rutherglen shed under construction called Polmadie Shed.
|/07/1875||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Rutherglen shed, built in timber, renamed Polmadie Shed, partly brought into use.
|16/09/1875||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed fully open.
|/ /1878||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Eglinton Street Shed, a four road brick locomotive shed with 42ft turntable, opened to reduce light engine movements to Polmadie Shed via the congested Bridge Street Junction to Gushetfaulds section. The new shed was a sub-shed of Polmadie. Opened in anticipation of Glasgow Central.
|/09/1888||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Four road shed opened at Ardrossan North, (Ardrossan Shed [CR]), with 42ft Cowans Sheldon Works turntable. Built by Robert McAlpine. Sub-shed of Polmadie Shed.
|/ /1923||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed starts to be re-built in brick.
|/ /1924||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed re-building in brick complete.
|/ /1934||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed turntable replaced with 70ft.
|/ /1935||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed coded 27A.
|/ /1940||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Second 70ft turntable installed at Polmadie Shed.
|/ /1940||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Northern part of the Polmadie Mineral Sidings (Shawfield Yard) traffic sidings incorporated into Polmadie Shed during re-construction of the shed. A new coaling plant was erected.
|/ /1949||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed coded 66A.
|/ /1951||Scottish Central Railway|
New Stirling South Shed round-house is set-out with a turntable from Polmadie Shed, however the work is abandoned and demolished.
|28/05/1967||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed closed to steam.
|/ /1974||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Polmadie Shed closed when West Coast Main Line electrification reaches Glasgow. The site was re-developed as a carriage depot.