Name and dates
Stirling North Junction (1900-)
Opened on the Scottish Central Railway
This junction is to the north of Stirling station. The junction is between lines north to Perth and east to Alloa.
There is an ^A^ listed signal box on the west side of the junction with a 48 lever frame.
It allows trains from platforms 2, 4, 5, 6 and 9 to travel north to Perth and trains from platforms 6 and 9 to go east to Alloa.
Southbound trains from Perth may enter 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9. Those from the east may enter 6 and 9.
This junction was created in 1900, previously the connection between the former Scottish Central Railway
and former Stirling and Dunfermline Railway
was south of the station at Stirling Middle Junction
Additionally trains from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
entered the west side of the station, rather than the east. The F&C was aligned with, although not owned by, the North British Railway
. That company^s goods yard, Cowpark Goods
was just off to the north west alongside Stirling^s auction market.
The junction was created in 1900, the culmination of improvements which included removal of the level crossings at Shore Road. The new junction allowed trains from the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway
to enter the east (North British Railway
) side of Stirling
A number of signal boxes were dispensed with
on the Caledonian side
- Shore Road (at Shore Road Level Crossing [CR]
- Forth and Clyde Junction [Stirling]
on the North British side
- Shore Road (at Shore Road Level Crossing [NB]
(Additionally Shore Road Goods Signal Box
on the NB was replaced with Shore Road Signal Box [NB]
The large Shore Road Goods [NB]
closed around 1964 allowing Shore Road Signal Box [NB]
route closed to passengers in 1968. It was singled from Manor Powis
to Stirling North in 1972.
It ceased to be a through route in the 1980s and was cut back to Cambus
ceased receiving deliveries by rail about 1994 and the line largely closed. The portion over the Stirling Forth Viaduct [SandD]
remained in use, permanent way trains sometimes seen near Causewayhead
. There was some tracklifting in the 2000s.
The line was reinstated in 2008 to carry a passenger service to Alloa
and coal trains for Longannet Power Station
the route taking heavy trains away from the Forth Bridge
reducing maintenance costs and freeing slots on the busy Fife Circle
Longannet Power Station
closed in 2016.
Stirling remained an outpost of semaphore signalling until preparations for electrification of the Dunblane
routes. The Alloa
route is controlled by Stirling Middle Junction