Alloa Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Alloa Junction (1862-1865)

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.

Opened on the South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway).


This junction was between the Scottish Central Railway of 1848 and its South Alloa Branch (Scottish Central Railway) of 1852. The branch was approached from the south, from Larbert.

This was briefly the site of a station.

The main line was double track and branch single. A siding was on the west side of the branch at the junction, approached from the south.

The signal box was located in the 'V' of the junction. To the north of the junction was a row of railway cottages.

The railway was extended from Dunmore Junction to Alloa West Junction in 1885. Alloa Junction to Dunmore Junction was doubled in 1886.

The box was replaced in 1892. The new box was also in the 'V' of the junction.

The branch closed to passengers in 1968 and was singled again in 1970, when the Alloa Bridge closed. Latterley used to approach RNAD Bandeath it closed altogether in 1978.


Junction station