This was a two platform station at the west end of the Tay Viaduct [Perth] and a short distance east of Perth station. The station is in the south east of Perth, north of the South Inch and west of the River Tay. It is named for the road passed over by the railway immediately to the west of the former station.
There was a small goods yard on the south side of the station. This was approached from the east via a reversing spur which was on a bridge over Tay Street.
There was an engine shed, removed at an early date, to the west. This covered the three running lines and three sidings to the north. The site of the shed later became a bay of the eastbound platform.
There was a signal box at the east end of the station on the west side of Tay Street and on the north side of the line.
The line from Orchardbank Signal Box, at the east end of Perth General station, was singled in 1921/23. The down (eastbound) platform was removed. The signal box closed in 1921/23. The up platform remained along with its station building and glass canopy. The building remained, disused, into the 1980s. A short portion of the westbound platform is part of the bridge over Princes Street.
Perth Glasgow Road [Temporary]
Perth Glasgow Road
Bridge of Earn [2nd]
Bridge of Earn [1st]
| Perth Princes Street Shed|
Tay Viaduct [Perth]
Barnhill Carriage Sidings
Orchardbank Signal Box
Perth Goods [CR] [1st]
Perth Works Sidings
St Leonards Bridge Junction
St Leonards Junction Signal Box
Craigie Bridge Junction
Perth Power Box
The Fergusson Gallery
King James VI Golf Club
Perth Museum and Art Gallery
Perth Station Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/03/1849||Dundee and Perth Railway|
Line extended from Barnhill [D&PR] over the River Tay via the Tay Viaduct [Perth] to Perth Princes Street.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways