Tay Viaduct [Perth]

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Tay Viaduct [Perth] (1849-)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Dundee and Perth Railway.

Description

A single track metal girder single track viaduct which, in 1863/64, replaced an earlier double track timber viaduct which had 25 arches and an iron swing bridge. The original bridge was 444 yds long.

The first span on the west side was double track as the reversing spur for the Perth Princes Street goods yard, built on a very cramped site, was on the viaduct. The first pier of the viaduct remains for a double track today, although the line is now single.

The viaduct crosses the River Tay using the north end of Friarton (on Moncrieffe) Island. This island is noted for its allotments and the King James VI Golf Club.

Tags

Viaduct River Tay

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map




Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways