This is a two platform station with a passing loop on the Far North Line. The main station building, with an 'H' plan and located on the northbound platform, has been renovated and is now host to the restaurant 'Platform 1864 '. The lattice footbridge between the platforms remains.
The goods yard was to the north on the west side of the line and approached from the north. This had a goods shed and short loading bank to the north of the northbound platform and loading banks to the west.
The two road Tain Shed was just to the south of the station. It was on the east side and its approach led off the south end of the southbound loop. Its original turntable was to the north of the goods yard and approached from the north. This was replaced in 1938 with a larger 60ft turntable which was on the east side of the station, approached by a siding from the south, connecting to the south end of the southbound loop by the turnout for the shed.
The station had two signal boxes. The south box was at the south end of the loop, on the west side opposite the shed and turntable turn outs. The north box was also on the west side at the north end of the goods yard, sandwiched between the goods yard sidings and original turntable siding.
The station had water columns.
Glenmorangie Siding, for the distillery, closed in 1970. Afterwards traffic was handled at Tain station and carried by road, the traffic has ceased.
The signal boxes closed in 1985 with the introduction of RETB, the station then being controlled from Dingwall.
The abandoned turntable pit remains to the east.
The Glenmorangie Distillery is north of Tain.
| Tain Shed|
Dornoch Firth Crossing
Nigg Oil Terminal
Hilton of Cadboll Chapel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway