Opened on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway.
Opened on the Dalmore Distillery Branch.
Open on the Far North Line.
This is a single platform station. There is a car park and platform shelter. It is in the south of Alness itself.
The station started with a single platform, the present platform. A second platform was later provided with the addition of an up loop. (Often described as having three platforms, this must be a confusion with the Dalmore branch).
The station building, similar to that at Ardgay, was of two storeys with a canopy supported by pillars along the platform side of the building.
There was a goods yard to the west, on the north side of the line, accessed from the east. From the west side of the station a branch ran past the south side of the station to Dalmore Distillery.
There were two signal boxes. The south box, at the west end, was south of the line with sidings off the Dalmore branch to its south. The north box, at the east end, was also south of the line and the east end of the loop. Both boxes opened in 1891.
The station was closed in 1960. The boxes both closed in 1967. The loop was removed and later the goods yard and Dalmore branch.
The station reopened in 1973. At reopening the station building still stood.
Other railway and industry locations
US Naval Base 17
Highland Agriculture Works [Invergordon]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway (Railway History)
Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)
Highland Railway Album
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway