'The Georgemas' is the furthest north junction in Britain and is also a station. Here the lines to Wick and Thurso (accessed by reversal for a train from the south) divide. The station building remains standing, the ground floor formerly having been the offices and upper floor staff accommodation.
Only one platform now remains in use, the southbound platform having been removed to facilitate installation of a crane for loading nuclear material from Dounreay Power Station. The footbridge has also been removed. The northbound platform formerly extended partly down the Thurso branch, (cut back in the 1980s when the platform was extended in the Wick direction) and there was a bay platform for Thurso, out of use and trackless.
The southbound platform was an island platform, the outer face being accessed from the south an leading to sidings on the south side of the line, east of the station. These sidings have been used to unload containers for Safeway supermarket, unload pipes from the Hartlepool Rod Mill for Keiss, and load refrigerators manufactured by Norfrost into containers in recent years. It seems odd to have removed the southbound platform when these sidings exist with space to expand and lay further sidings.
The Safeway traffic was terminated when Morrisons took over the company. The Norfrost factory has closed.
In the V of the junction was the junction signal box and turntable, the pit of which remains, somewhat overgrown. To the south of the station, heading for Inverness was a trolley shed, served from the sidings, and, beyond that, a snow blower.
Water columns were provided on platforms.
There were two signal boxes. The Georgemas Junction box, as above, which opened with the station and was replaced in 1890 when an additional box, Georgemas North, opened (actually at the east or Wick end). Both boxes closed in 1985 with the introduction of RETB control from Dingwall.
Welsh's Crossing Halt
| Georgemas Trolley Shed|
Olgrinbeg Peat Powerstation (here?)
Balloch Railway Cottage
Bridge of Wester
Dounreay Power Station
Cnoc Freiceadain Long Cairns
St Mary's Chapel Crosskirk
Loch of Wester
Grey Cairns of Camster
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherland's Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.