This station was between Scotscalder, to the west, and Georgemas Junction. It was located at a level crossing to the south of the village of Halkirk. It is a curious situation: Halkirk with the only real population nearby is closed but Georgemas Junction and Scotscalder remain open.
The station was to the east of the level crossing with a single platform on the north side of the line.
There was a goods siding on the north side of the line, east of the station and approached from the west, which ran into a goods shed. A loading bank was served by reversal.
A signal box was by the level crossing on the platform. It opened with the station and was replaced in 1892.
The station closed in 1960 and the box closed in 1968. The line remains open.
To the west was a snowblower. A little further west the line crosses the River Thurso.
Welsh's Crossing Halt
| Georgemas Snowblower|
Georgemas Trolley Shed
Olgrinbeg Peat Powerstation (here?)
Balloch Railway Cottage
Claiseag Railway Cottage
Dounreay Power Station
Cnoc Freiceadain Long Cairns
St Mary's Chapel Crosskirk
Loch of Wester
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherland's Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.
|13/06/1960||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Halkirk, Bower, Watten and Bilbster closed.