This is a two platform station with a passing loop. It is separated from the goods yard to the south, which is now a permanent way siding, by a level crossing.
The station building (now an RSPB centre Forsinard Flows Visitor Centre ) still stands on the northbound platform. A timber waiting shelter with a heavy rolling door still stands on the southbound platform. The north end of the platforms are extended in timber. The station formerly had a lattice footbridge between the platforms, at the north end.
At the north end of the northbound platform is the disused former north box. Both north and south boxes opened around 1894. The south box was south of the level crossing and on the east side of the line opposite the goods yard turn out. The boxes closed in 1985 with the introduction of RETB and control passed to Dingwall.
The station formerly had a water tank for steam engines. This was south of the level crossing and on the east side.
| Limeside Railway Cottage|
County March Summit [Sutherland and Caithness]
Kinbrace Timber Loading
Claiseag Railway Cottage
Old Kinbrace Railway Cottage
Carbuie Railway Cottage
Kildonan Gold Rush
Balloch Railway Cottage
Olgrinbeg Peat Powerstation (here?)
Kileanan Railway Cottage
Dounreay Power Station
Loch an Ruathair
Cnoc Freiceadain Long Cairns
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherlands Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.