This is a one platform (the former northbound platform) station on the Far North Line. The main station building still stands on the platform and there is a small car park.
This was a two platform station was a passing loop. The southbound line is lifted and the platform is out of use.
The goods yard consisted of a single siding. It was to the west of the remaining platform and approached from the east, serving a loading bank.
There were two signal boxes. The south box was at the west ennd of the station, on the south side of the line. The north box was on the north side of the line, beyond the road bridge crossing the east end of the station and on the extreme east end of the northbound platform. The boxes opened around 1894.
The signal boxes closed in 1964 and the loop was removed
There was a snowblower to the east of the station at the east end of the loop - fences laid in a V formation with the track at the apex - the movement of wind over the structure keeping the line clear of snow. The Highland Railway built these at locations particularly subject to drifting snow where traditional snow fences (palisades of sleepers, sometimes two rows deep) were insufficient.
Welsh's Crossing Halt
| Balloch Railway Cottage|
Olgrinbeg Peat Powerstation (here?)
Georgemas Trolley Shed
Claiseag Railway Cottage
Dounreay Power Station
County March Summit [Sutherland and Caithness]
Cnoc Freiceadain Long Cairns
St Mary's Chapel Crosskirk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherlands Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.