This is a single platform station on the Far North line. The platform is on the east side of the line. There is a level crossing to the immediate south of the station.
It was formerly a two platform station but the northbound line and platform are out of use. The timber building on the disused northbound platform remains standing. The main station building was on the southbound platform. The straight through line was the northbound line, the southbound the loop. At the north end of the southbound platform was a siding, approached from the south, serving a loading bank.
There were two signal boxes both opened in 1894. The north box, on the east side, was on loading bank north of southbound platform. The south box, on the west side, was by the level crossing at the south end of the northbound platform. The south end of the loop was south of the level crossing.
Both boxes closed in 1966. The northbound loop and siding were taken out and the remaining line straightened.
The Strath of Kildonan was the site of a gold rush in 1869, which continued until after the line opened.
The strath experienced a brief gold rush after 1868 Suisgill - Gold panning .
| Kildonan Gold Rush|
Carbuie Railway Cottage
Kileanan Railway Cottage
Old Kinbrace Railway Cottage
Kinbrace Timber Loading
Dunrobin Carriage Shed
Limeside Railway Cottage
Loch an Ruathair
Carn Liath Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1874||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
Line opened from Helmsdale (Duke of Sutherlands Railway) to Wick with stations at Salzcraggie (Private), Kildonan, Kinbrace, Forsinard, Altnabreac, Scotscalder, Halkirk, Georgemas Junction, Hoy, Thurso, Bower, Watten, Bilbster and Wick.