Achallader Castle

Location type

Name and dates

Achallader Castle

Opened on the Tourist - Castles and big houses.


Achallader Castle, a ruined fortified tower house east of Loch Tulla, is north of the Achallader Viaduct. Now within the grounds of Achallader Farm.

The castle, then a property of the Campbells, was burned and partly demolished in 1689 by Jacobites returning to Glencoe following the battles of Killiecrankie and Dunkeld.

In 1691 the Declaration of Achallader was signed here, the Jacobite chiefs being coerced into signing allegiance to William of Orange. This was to lead to the Glencoe Massacre in 1692. MacIain of Glencoe was considered to not have taken an oath of allegiance to William and Mary quickly enough.



Nearby stations
Bridge of Orchy
Gorton [WHR]
Upper Tyndrum
Tyndrum [1st]
Tyndrum Lower
Crianlarich Lower
Loch Dochart [Private]
Glen Falloch Platform
Killin Junction
Loch Awe
Achallader Viaduct
Achallader Lineside Cottage
Barravourich Viaduct
Crannach Forest
Black Mount
Barravourich Hunting Lodge
Loch Tulla
Beinn Achaladair
Beinn Achaladair South Peak
Peter Fleming Monument
Beinn an Dothaidh
Meall Buidhe
Beinn a^Chuirn
Beinn a^Chreachain
Inveroran Inn
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

Navvy Camp

One of the camps for the navvies was near Achallader, also described as Inveroran. This was the northernmost point where the coach road was alongside the railway as the old road followed the west side of Loch Tulla.