This double track swing bridge crossed the Forth and Clyde Canal between the upper and lower basins at Bowling. A signal box was mounted above the running lines to the immediate west of the bridge. The pivot of the bridge was just to the east of the box and the bridge^s east end swung north.
Either end of the swing bridge was approached by railway viaducts, the arches being used for a variety of purposes.
Building the viaduct required alterations to the canal. With the canal and railway both owned by the Caledonian Railway there would be little objection to this.
The signal box closed in 1964/5 with the line.
The bridge no longer swings today.
Immediately to the south of the swing bridge was a second railway swing bridge which carried the goods line from Bowling Harbour Signal Box to Bowling Harbour. This second bridge no longer exists.
Just to the west the line crossed over the former Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway. This portion of the viaduct has been fenced off to protect the open railway.
One of the arches is home to Magic Cycles .
Singer Workers Platforms
| Bowling Basin Sidings [NB]|
Bowling Canal Basin
Bowling Basin Sidings [CR]
Bowling Basin Signal Box
Bowling Harbour Signal Box
Littlemill Distillery Sidings
Bowling Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
The Highways of the World
A photograph reproduced in ^Through Scotland by the Caledonian Railway^ by George Eyre-Todd in 1907, taken from the signal box and facing east, shows the railway, canal, road (off to the left) and River Clyde (right). The caption is ^The Highways of the World at Bowling - road, canal, railway and river^.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)