Bowling Harbour Signal Box

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Bowling Harbour Signal Box (1901-1963)

Opened on the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway.

Description

The Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway had a second lesser known swing bridge which was directly south of the main Bowling Swing Bridge. A line from Bowling Harbour Signal Box ran west to serve the east end of Bowling Basin and then cross the lower basin to reach the quaysides in Bowling Basin and Bowling Harbour. Here it connected with the sidings of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway and there was a small exchange yard.

The box was on the north side of the line.

Due to the naming of signal boxes for the sidings served (rather than their own location) the Basin Box was alongside the Harbour whereas the L&D^s Bowling Harbour Signal Box was east of the Basin.

Tags

Sidings harbour
09/03/2020



Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)