This station is located in the middle of Kilmarnock. It is a four platform station with two bay platforms at the north end and two mainline platforms. There are three tracks between the main platforms. The bay platforms and northbound (down) platform are canopied.
The station was substantially rebuilt in 1873-78, following the opening of the joint line via Barrhead. (See Kilmarnock [1st] for the earlier version of the station.) The main building is on the northbound platform. It is built in red sandstone. The building features a tall tower at the east end. This features round windows on the top floor, curiously not fitted with clocks (although there is a large clock in the grounds). A double ramp runs up to the station, passing the car park. At low level is a castellated building, the entry to an underpass under the station and former ticket office.
The original 1843 down side station building survived until the 1990s, just to the north west of its replacement.
The 1870s reconstruction of the station remains largely intact, although the south end bay platform, west side, and east face of the island platform are now out of use. The northbound platform and bay platforms area is canopied.
Signal boxes opened at the north and south ends of the station in 1873. The north box was on the south side of Kilmarnock Junction. The south box was at the east end of the station, just west of Kilmarnock Water Viaduct.
In 1890 the north box was replaced with the first No 1 box. The south box was renamed to become the first No 2 box. The first No 3 box had opened in 1889 - this was on the north side of the station, between No 1 and No 2. It controlled access to single ended sidings to the west and locomotive shed and turntable to the east.
With the opening of a new No 1 box at Bonnyton and Kilmarnock Goods Junction in 1926 there was a further renaming. The north box at Kilmarnock Junction, the first No 1, became No 2. The south box, the first No 2, became No 3. The middle box, the first No 3, became No 4.
The middle box, No 4, closed in 1966. The north, No 2, and south, No 3, boxes closed in 1976 when replaced by Kilmarnock Power Box.
The original building was in Georgian style. It was thought to be by James Miller and was demolished despite being listed. It was reminiscent of his work at Haymarket.
Kilmarnock Station Railway Heritage Trust - Storm in a Teacup Cafe is based in the station building.
Kilmarnock (St Marnocks)
Riccarton and Craigie
| Kilmarnock Shed [3rd]|
Wabtec Rail Scotland Works
Kilmarnock Joint Goods
Kilmarnock Engine Shed [1st]
J. Walker Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock Joint Shed
Kilmarnock Power Box
Kilmarnock Water Viaduct
Kilmarnock Engine Shed [2nd]
Caledonia Works Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/04/1843||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Kilmarnock line from Dalry opened.
|09/08/1848||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Kilmarnock to Galston opened (actually opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway rather than the G&SWR).
|/ /1865||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Authorisation of a Caledonian Railway extension from Crofthead to Kilmarnock and the Beith [Town] branch.
|/ /1869||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint RailwayGlasgow and South Western RailwayCaledonian Railway|
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Line committee formed for the under construction line. The joint line includes the Caledonian Railways former Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway. This gives the G&SWR a shorter route to Kilmarnock (and Carlisle) just as the City of Glasgow Union Railway, and its Glasgow St Enoch, is under development. It gives the Caledonian access to Kilmarnock with some running powers beyond.
|/ /1872||Caledonian Railway
Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Govan and Polloc Railway|
Link between Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway, Victoria Junction (Langside Junction), to Govan and Polloc Railway, Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction), authorised. The former was about to be extended to Kilmarnock in 1873.
|/ /1872||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Hillhead Colliery branch (in north of Kilmarnock) authorised. Opened in 1872.
|26/06/1873||Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway|
Opened throughout, by extending from Stewarton to Kilmarnock. Station opened at Kilmaurs. Additionally Kilmarnock Joint Goods and Kilmarnock Joint Shed opened.
|/ /1876||Grant, Ritchie & Co|
Founded in Kilmarnock to build engines, by former employees of Andrew Barclay.
|/ /1896||Strathaven and Darvel Railway
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Lines authorised for the Caledonian Railway, Darvel to Strathaven Central, Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] and Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] to Lesmahagow [2nd] and Alton Heights Junction. The Glasgow and South Western Railway is granted running powers over these lines in exchange for the Caledonian Railway having running powers from Darvel to Troon and Kilmarnock to Ayr.
|20/09/1903||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Lugton East Junction to Lugton L and A Junction opened. This was an interchange spur but also allowed trains to run from Glasgow to Kilmarnock as far as Lugton on an Caledonian Railway only owned route.
|19/04/1962||North British Locomotive Company|
Liquidated. Goodwill bought by Barclays of Kilmarnock.
|06/04/1964||Darvel Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Darvel to Kilmarnock (Hurlford Junction) closed to passengers.
|06/04/1964||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr RailwayArdrossan Railway|
Irvine (Byrehill Junction) to Stevenston (Dubbs Junction) closed to passengers. Ardrossan to Kilmarnock service via Crosshill withdrawn.
|18/04/1966||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Dalry to Kilmarnock closed to local passenger trains.
|03/03/1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Barassie to Kilmarnock closed to passengers.
|01/10/1973||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Dalry to Kilmarnock closed to all traffic.
|05/05/1975||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Barassie to Kilmarnock re-opened to passengers (on closure of Annbank to Mauchline to passengers).
|/ /1980||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Kilmarnock to Barassie re-opened to passengers.