This was a double junction. The existing 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway was met by the 1896/7 Glasgow Central Railway which used the original line for a very short distance between its two portions. The Carmyle goods yard was modified to lead off the Glasgow Central Low Level route. The signal box (which replaced the old Carmyle box) was on the south side of the line between the two junctions.
The line south to Newton opened in 1896 and the route west to Glasgow Central Low Level opened in 1897.
Alongside the Newton route close to the junction was Kenmuirhill Colliery No 1, on the south side of the line. Carmyle Goods Yard (a marshalling yard rather than goods yard) was on the west side between Carmyle Junction and near the Westburn Viaduct.
The Glasgow Central Railway closed to passengers in 1964.
The route to Glasgow Central Low Level was cut back to Tollcross in 1964, later closing completely in 1966.
The eastern approach to Clyde Iron Works was radically rebuilt in the 1950s with rebuilding of the works, coke ovens and ore and coal delivery area. The new approach ran from Carmyle Junction west through the site of the original eastbound platform to the new works area.
Carmyle Junction signal box closed in 1973, taken over by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
The link to Newton remained open until 1983.
Mount Vernon North
| Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 1|
Carmyle Goods Yard
Clyde Iron Works Colliery Carmyle Pit No 1
Tollcross East Signal Box
Clyde Iron Works Coke Ovens
Carmyle South Signal Box
Clyde Iron Reception Yard
Kenmuirhill Signal Box
Clyde Iron Works Ore Sidings
Kenmuir Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Clydesmill Power Station
Arnott, Young and Co [Fullarton]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|