Barkip Junction (1889-1903)
Opened on the Barkip Railway.
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
This junction was on the Kilbirnie branch of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. A large part of this branch predated the L&A and had begun life as a mineral line, the Barkip Railway, which ran south from the Glengarnock Iron Works.
A signal box opened here on the east side of the line. To the south lines divided:
mineral line west to coal and ironstone pits at Muirhouse such as Barcosh Ironstone Pit
mineral line south west to limestone quarries
mineral line south to Giffen Coal Pit No 1
L&A main line south east to Kilbirnie Junction
Hillhead Railway east to Hillhead Quarry
To the north the former Barkip Railway ran to Glengarnock, much of its route being incorporated into the then new L&A
All of these lines were single track.
The box closed in 1903 when most of the mines were worked out.
The Kilbirnie branch closed to passengers in 1930 and altogether in 1945, except for at Kilbirnie Junction where it was retained to serve Birsieknowe Ironstone Pit No 1 and RNAD Giffen.
Dalry Junction [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Barcosh Ironstone Pit
Birsieknowe Ironstone Pit No 1
Giffen Coal Pit No 1
Beith Town Shed
Swindridgemuir Pit No 4 Coal
Barr Colliery Pit No 2
Barr Colliery Pit No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|