A network of lines served the Clyde Iron Works, most lines being connected to the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway, most approaching from the east.
An earlier line connected the works to the Clydesdale Junction Railway, to the south. This was later used for the Clyde Iron Works Slag Plant.
A line also ran west over a bridge crossing the River Clyde to the Clydebridge Steel Works.
Due to the approach from the east a connection was installed from Kirkhill Junction, on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway to Carmyle Junction allowing iron ore imported through Ardrossan harbour to reach the works.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This signal box was just to the east of Clydebridge Viaduct on the south side of the line. It controlled the point of entry into the Clyde Iron Works (dating from 1786) from the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway (the 1868 (Lanarkshire and Midlothian Branches railway number 8 - Clyde Iron Works).. This replaced earlier connections to the Clydesdale Junction Railway. (The west curve ...More details