Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway

Introduction

This line is open. ScotRail operates a service between Edinburgh and Bathgate and on to Airdrie and Glasgow.

Until recently occasional freight trains carrying cars made use of the line to run to a car distribution terminal in Bathgate.



Dates

  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1849[Wilsontown Morningside and Coltness Railway]
Extended from Longridge to Bathgate. This line may have reached Bathgate before the [Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway], which formed a connection with it.
12/11/1849[Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway]
Line opened from Newbridge Junction to Bathgate.
01/01/1923North British Railway Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Gifford and Garvald Railway Newburgh and North Fife Railway Lauder Light Railway Great Central Railway
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
12/06/1934[Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway]
A road tanker crashes into a overbridge by Uphall station killing a man and injuring a youth
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
24/03/1986[Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway]
Re-opening to passengers with stations at Uphall, Livingston North, and Bathgate

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

Bathgate Junction was created with the opening of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway line west to Bathgate [1st] in 1849. It met the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842.
...

More details
ScotRail 170408 runs east through a pre-electrification Newbridge Junction on 29 June 2008. The train is the 0845 Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh ...
John Furnevel 29/06/2008
Anti-graffiti artwork at Newbridge Junction.
...
John Yellowlees 30/05/2017
Newbridge junction's original name, carried on as a location in 1995. ...
David Panton //1995
A ballast train from the Bathgate area joins the E&G main line at Newbridge Junction on 28 June 2008. 66184 is about to run east below Harvest Road ...
John Furnevel 28/06/2008

This was the junction for the Newliston Shale Mines. These mines were on either side of the Brox Burn. The junction was east of Drumshoreland station and west of Bathgate Junction (now Newbridge Junction).
...

More details

47152 climbs away from Drumshoreland with a car train for Bathgate on 23 May 1990. In the background is the Almond Viaduct on the E & G main line. ...
Bill Roberton 23/05/1990
NBR 256 Glen Douglas with Scottish Rambler no 3 during a photostop at Drumshoreland station on 30 March 1964. Originally opened as ...
John Robin 30/03/1964
A pair of 334 units head for Edinburgh past the remains of Drumshoreland Station. ...
Bill Roberton 02/11/2010
Drumshoreland looking north over the former goods yard. The line is still there by the building. ...
Ewan Crawford //

Cawburn Junction looking west to Bathgate. From here the passenger line is single track. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking west from Cawburn Junction showing the track doubling approaching the point where the track singled. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/01/2008



This is a two platform station with a car park alongside each platform. Uphall itself is to the north and the station is in the village of Uphall Station, which developed after the station opened.
...

More details
Milngavie (right) and Edinburgh services pass at Uphall on 25th September 2017. Unusually the Edinburgh train is only formed of three coaches so I've ...
David Panton 25/09/2017
An Edinburgh service enters Uphall on 25th September 2017. The proximity of the station to the M8 Motorway is clear. Uphall has no footbridge, and the ...
David Panton 25/09/2017
New cycle hoops at Uphall. ...
First ScotRail //2006
An Edinburgh service calls at Uphall on 27th July 2018, to pick up what is obviously mainly daytripping custom. Note the proximity to the M8: an ...
David Panton 27/07/2018

This was the junction for the short Bangour [Hospital] branch. A box opened here in 1903 in preparation for the branch opening. The branch was from the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway, on the north side and approached from the east.
...

More details
Shortly after leaving Uphall station (visible in the background) on 18 August, a Waverley - Bathgate 158 service is about to run past the site of ...
James Young 18/08/2008
View west towards Livingston as an Edinburgh - Bathgate service passes the site of the former Bangour Junction on 18 August 2008. ...
James Young 18/08/2008
Bathgate - Edinburgh train approaches the site of Bangour Junction on the single line branch in June 2007. ...
James Young 26/06/2007
With redoubling and bridge alterations complete, a Bathgate - Waverley service approaches the site of Bangour Jct on 18 March 2009. Electrification is ...
James Young 18/03/2009


This is a modern two platform station. The original Livingston [1st] station was further west.
...

More details
A Milngavie service enters Livingston North on 17 August 2018. If you want to get to the centre of Livingston from here I'd get the bus as it is two ...
David Panton 17/08/2018
A Milngavie service at Livingston North on 24th October 2017. Neither of the Livingston stations are at all central: North is in Deans and South in ...
David Panton 25/10/2017
An Edinburgh service pulls into Livi North on 17 August 2018. Eastbound services use the original 1986 platform, which goes under the overbridge ...
David Panton 17/08/2018
The 0924 Milngavie - Edinburgh Waverley draws to a halt at Livingston North platform 1 on 16 April 2018. ...
John Furnevel 16/04/2018

Carmondean looking west. The left track is the freight track for car trains and the right track is the passenger line. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was the original station in Livingston closed in 1948 along with other stations between Airdrie and Newbridge Junction. It was a two platform station. There was a dock at the east end of the westbound platform, the line serving this coming from a long siding on the south side of the line, approached from the west. The signal box was to the west of the station and on the south side of ...

More details
Approximately a quarter of a mile further on towards Bathgate from Livingston North is the site of the original Livingston station, seen here in July ...
James Young /07/2007
The brave new world of Livingston new town makes for a strange contrast with a traditional North British Railway building at the former Livingston ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 23/02/1965


This junction opened in 1875 to serve the Seafield Oil Works near West Calder. The branch, North British Railway owned, was single track. The junction made a trailing connection with a trailing crossover to the west. The signal box was to the north of the junction.
...

More details

Class 334s in the sidings on the south side of Bathgate station on 22 February. ...
Bill Roberton 22/02/2014
The new train maintenance sidings at Bathgate. The overhead lights are up, the platforms are built and the track is partly laid. [View through a ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
View of the new maintenance sidings from the south. The laid track, overhead lights and platforms can be seen here. [Vertical lines are due to the ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
Entrance to the new First ScotRail depot at Bathgate on 14 March 2010. Looking east towards Edinburgh with the main line on the left. The lift towers ...
John Furnevel 14/03/2010

Bathgate shed was east of Bathgate Upper and on the north side of the line. This six road shed was replaced in 1954 with a new four road shed on the same site. Approach was from the east.
...

More details
Signpost at the rear of the former Bathgate steam shed in 2008. Founded as Jarvis Construction in 1846, the company entered the rail maintenance ...
John Furnevel 31/07/2008
J36 0-6-0 no 65345 enjoying the sunshine in the yard at Bathgate in the summer of 1966. ...
K A Gray //1966
A trio of B1s stored alongside Bathgate shed in March 1964. Centre stage is no 61356, officially withdrawn from St Margarets some four months after ...
K A Gray /03/1964
Stored B1 4-6-0 61351 at Bathgate in March 1964. The locomotive would not be officially withdrawn from Dalry Road shed for a further 4 months, before ...
K A Gray 28/03/1964

This is a new two platform station which occupies a site east of the Bathgate [4th] terminus. The large carpark to the north of the station is built on the site of Bathgate Shed. ...

More details
A Helensburgh service draws to a stop at Bathgate on 18 June 2019. Unusually the station signs here do not bear a Gaelic version of the name even ...
David Panton 18/06/2019
An Edinburgh service approaches Bathgate on 18 June 2019. ...
David Panton 18/06/2019
The 'Memory wall' at Bathgate Station. ...
John Yellowlees 09/05/2017
An Edinburgh service calls at Bathgate on 18 June 2019. There was a guy with a camera in the station. I always avoid such weirdos. ...
David Panton 18/06/2019

This junction was created in 1850 when the 1849 Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway was met by the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) line just east of Bathgate [1st] station. The connection faced Edinburgh, allowing goods and minerals to run through whereas passenger trains would need to reverse to reach Bathgate station.
...

More details
334025 approaching Bathgate on 22 February with the 10.57 from Milngavie to Edinburgh Waverley. ...
Bill Roberton 22/02/2014
Looking east towards Edinburgh past Bathgate Central signal box in February 1970. ...
Bill Jamieson /02/1970
N15 0-6-2T no 69163 at Bathgate Upper on 6 May 1961 with a BLS special from Maryhill Central. The locomotive has just run round its train which it is ...
David Stewart 06/05/1961
20226 stands in the yard at Bathgate on 26 May 1982, waiting to take out an empty car transporter train. Bathgate Central signal box is on the right ...
Peter Todd 26/05/1982

This was the fourth station to be opened in Bathgate and, when opened, the first in the town for twenty years following the closure of Bathgate Upper in 1956.
...

More details
The fourth station at Bathgate, seen under construction in 1985.
...
Bill Roberton //1985
A 158 from Edinburgh leaves the original through route at Bathgate in December 2004 and turns onto the short spur leading to the 1986 terminus. In ...
John Furnevel 29/12/2004
End of the line - Bathgate in December 2004 with a train from Edinburgh Waverley at the terminus. ...
John Furnevel 29/12/2004
Platform view at Bathgate in December 2004, looking towards the buffer stops. ...
John Furnevel 05/12/2004

This was the first station in Bathgate. It appeared in working timetables as Bathgate E&G as that company operated the independent Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway.
...

More details
Cars and vans unloaded in the sidings which were located next to the Bathgate terminus. This site is now a retail estate. The closed terminus station ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Bathgate goods depot - 1980s. Note the Cartics in the background. ...
Jim Peebles //