Livingston North

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Livingston North (1986-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway.

Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.


Description

This is a modern two platform station. The original Livingston [1st] station was further west.

The station opened with a single platform with the re-opening of the Bathgate branch to passengers in 1986. The platform was on the north side of the line, in a cutting, on the site of the eastbound track.

To the west the line divided at Carmondean Junction into two single track railways running parallel to Bathgate, the northern line being the passenger line and the southern the freight line carrying car trains.

A car park was added to the south of the line.

A second track and platform were added by digging out the south side of the cutting to provide space. A disused bridge over the line to the east and an aqueduct bridge to the west of the station had to be removed.

Carmondean Junction no longer exists, with both lines in use as a double track railway.

The line is now electrified and part of the Airdrie-Bathgate re-opening.


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map