Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)

Introduction

This 1850 extension of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway (1845) to the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway (1849) from Longridge to Bathgate left both Bathgate [1st] and Longridge [1st] stations on short branches.

Bathgate Upper was to open later (1880).

Why built

This extension was first considered by the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway in 1849, it was a logical extension there being much coal in the Torbane and Bathgate areas and the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway had just opened. This extension would make the line a constituent in an alternative Edinburgh to Glasgow route.

The Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway was merged with the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in 1849.

The extension line was built by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway who had no physical connection.

This purchase had consolidated the E&G position in the area by blocking the Caledonian Railway from buying the line and creating a short Edinburgh to Glasgow route. This new line connected their Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway purchase to nearby friendly lines.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Longridge to Bathgate

This was the main portion of the line.

This was a short lived replacement for Longridge [1st], just to the south, the original terminus of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
...

More details

This was a single platform station, the stone built platform on the north side of the line on the west side of a level crossing, and with a goods yard to the south, approached from the west. A stone station building stood on the platform.
...

More details
Looking west over the site of Bents station on the Longridge to Bathgate extension of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway built by the ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997

This junction was immediately south of the level crossing by the former Foulshiels station. There was a long passing loop on the main route running south from the junction, accommodated by the line here having been prepared for two tracks, and a short passing loop on the branch line.
...

More details

This short lived station had a single platform on the east side of the line. It was just to the north of a level crossing close to West Foulshiels farm.
...

More details

This station had a brick built station building on the platform. The platform was on the west side of a loop, the line being single track to north and south. There were sidings on either side, approached from the south.
...

More details
The site of Whitburn station, looking south in May 1997. The station was located at East Whitburn. [See image 44781] for a view of the bridge from ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997
Whitburn station lost its passenger service as long ago as 1930, although the line continued to handle freight well into the 1960s. The trackbed is ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2013

This was a shale oil works. Paraffin was distilled here from coal and oil shale, the process invented and patented by the chemist James Young. The works was opened with Edward Meldrum and Edward William Binney as E.W. Binney & Co. in 1851. The process was perfected by 1856.
...

More details

The original trackbed here was built for two lines by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway extending the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway from Longridge [1st] to Bathgate East Junction [1st]. The eastbound only was laid at opening.
...

More details

This was a four way junction in the west of Bathgate. Today the location is a double track electrified railway with no junction.
...

More details
View east over Whitburn Road, Bathgate, in July 2008, showing Boghead Bridge carrying the trackbed of the closed Airdrie - Bathgate route, with the ...
John Furnevel 31/07/2008
Pouring metal sculpture just to the west of the former triangular junction at Bathgate on the Airdrie and Morningside (Lanarks) routes. View looks to ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2008
View looking south at Polkemmet Junction. Route to Morningside (Lanarks) to the left and that to Airdrie to the right via a portion of the ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2008
Whitburn Road bridge has been temporarily removed. This photograph is taken from the temporary road to replace it. The new bridge is under ...
Michael Gibb 12/07/2009

This was the third station opened in Bathgate. It appeared in working timetables as Bathgate E&G until renamed by the North British Railway. The station replaced the first station opened in Bathgate, the original terminus of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway at Bathgate [1st].
...

More details
NB 256 Glen Douglas photographed at Bathgate on 30 March 1964 with the SLS Scottish Rambler no 3 during a water stop on its way to ...
John Robin 30/03/1964
Felled lattice signal post in the weeds at Bathgate Upper in 1988. This was behind the westbound platform. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
NBR 256 Glen Douglas at Bathgate Upper on 30 March 1964. The locomotive was on its way from St Enoch to Dunfermline on what was the final day ...
K A Gray 30/03/1964
'Scottish Rambler No 5' arriving back at Bathgate on 11 April 1966 following a trip to Westfield. From here, after another run-round by the ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 11/04/1966

This junction was created in 1850 when the 1849 Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway was met by the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) line just east of Bathgate [1st] station. The connection faced Edinburgh, allowing goods and minerals to run through whereas passenger trains would need to reverse to reach Bathgate station.
...

More details
334025 approaching Bathgate on 22 February with the 10.57 from Milngavie to Edinburgh Waverley. ...
Bill Roberton 22/02/2014
Looking east towards Edinburgh past Bathgate Central signal box in February 1970. ...
Bill Jamieson /02/1970
N15 0-6-2T no 69163 at Bathgate Upper on 6 May 1961 with a BLS special from Maryhill Central. The locomotive has just run round its train which it is ...
David Stewart 06/05/1961
20226 stands in the yard at Bathgate on 26 May 1982, waiting to take out an empty car transporter train. Bathgate Central signal box is on the right ...
Peter Todd 26/05/1982




Whitrigg Colliery Branch

This ran from south of Whitburn station to the Whitrigg Colliery.

This station had a brick built station building on the platform. The platform was on the west side of a loop, the line being single track to north and south. There were sidings on either side, approached from the south.
...

More details
The site of Whitburn station, looking south in May 1997. The station was located at East Whitburn. [See image 44781] for a view of the bridge from ...
Ewan Crawford 03/05/1997
Whitburn station lost its passenger service as long ago as 1930, although the line continued to handle freight well into the 1960s. The trackbed is ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2013





Riddochhill Colliery

This was the third station opened in Bathgate. It appeared in working timetables as Bathgate E&G until renamed by the North British Railway. The station replaced the first station opened in Bathgate, the original terminus of the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway at Bathgate [1st].
...

More details
NB 256 Glen Douglas photographed at Bathgate on 30 March 1964 with the SLS Scottish Rambler no 3 during a water stop on its way to ...
John Robin 30/03/1964
Felled lattice signal post in the weeds at Bathgate Upper in 1988. This was behind the westbound platform. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
NBR 256 Glen Douglas at Bathgate Upper on 30 March 1964. The locomotive was on its way from St Enoch to Dunfermline on what was the final day ...
K A Gray 30/03/1964
'Scottish Rambler No 5' arriving back at Bathgate on 11 April 1966 following a trip to Westfield. From here, after another run-round by the ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 11/04/1966

This foundry was operated by the North British Steel Foundry Ltd, associated with the Menzies family. It was opened in 1907 and made track components for the railway industry.
...

More details