Longridge [1st] (1845-1848)
Opened on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the original eastern terminus of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
The railway effectively petered out in a field. This location was probably chosen as a location on the Whitburn to Forth road. It had been intended to run east to the Wilsontown Iron Works, but this failed in 1842.
Later OS maps make it difficult to know what was here, certainly a line on an embankment with a building alongside the road. Perhaps a rounding loop. There may have been a platform.
When the line was extended west, by the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) this terminus was replaced by a small through station to the north, Longridge [2nd]. This terminus was left on a short branch and became a goods siding, cut back to close to the junction.
The site remains unused and overgrown.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
Other railway and industry locations
Crofthead Iron Mine No 7
Crofthead Iron Mine No 1
Eastfield Engine Ironstone Pit
Crofthead Sandstone Quarry
Eastfield Iron Mine No 3
Greenburn Ironstone Pit
Eastfield Coal Pit No 3
Eastfield Iron Mine No 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian