Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
This was a single platform station with the platform on the north side of a single track line and goods yard to the north, approached from the west. There was a stone building, extended in timber to have a canopy and waiting room, on the brick built platform and a water tank at the west end.
To the west was a junction (Benhar Branch Junction) for a mineral line, Benhar Branch (North British Railway), (opened around 1895 replacing an earlier alignment further west). This served the Fallahill Colliery and Benhar Colliery.
To the east was the junction (Levenseat Branch Junction) for the Levenseat Works, to the south, and Crofthead Colliery, to the north.
A signal box opened by the east junction in 1893.
The station closed to passengers in 1930 and the line west to Blackhall Junction fell out of use in 1950. The box closed in 1959.
From 1950 to 1966 this was the west end of the remaining line from Bathgate, used to access the Levenseat Works branch by reversal.
The station site is partly landscaped and the trackbed is now a footpath. The foundations of the platform remain, currently buried.
| Benhar Branch Junction|
Levenseat Branch Junction
Greenburn Ironstone Pit
Crofthead Sandstone Quarry
Eastfield Iron Mine No 3
Fauldhouse No 1 Colliery
Eastfield Coal Pit No 3
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1864||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway
Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway)|
Line extended to Bathgate by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and re-opened to passengers. On the existing section Blackhall was re-opened and Crofthead [NB] was re-opened as Fauldhouse and Crofthead. On the new Longridge to Bathgate section stations opened at Longridge [2nd], Bents and Whitburn.
|01/09/1906||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Crofthead [NB] renamed Fauldhouse and Crofthead.
|01/05/1930||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Morningside to Bathgate (Polkemmet Junction) closed to passengers. Morningside [NBR], Fauldhouse and Crofthead (also known as Fauldhouse South), Bents and Whitburn closed.
|02/05/1966||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Fauldhouse and Crofthead to Whitrigg Colliery closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian