Location type


Name and dates

Grange (1856-1968)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Opened on the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway.


This was a two platform station for much of its existence. From 1859 to 1886 it was the junction station for the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway with the junction at the east end of the station. Because of this it had a turntable at the east end, north of the line. There was a bay at the east end of the eastbound platform. The station had a loop before the main line was doubled. The main station building was on the eastbound platform at the west end.

The station's goods yard was to the north of the line, approached from the east.

The line from Rothiemay to Keith was doubled in 1898 and a signal box ('Grange Junction')opened on the south side of the line, east of the platforms and opposite the goods yard with the junction to its east.

In 1886 with the extension of the branch, by the Morayshire Coast line, a new curve was put in to Grange South Junction (later Cairnie Junction which became the junction exchange station when it opened in 1898). This created a triangular junction and allowed trains from Aberdeen direct access to the branch. Each side of the triangle was double track except the Grange to Grange North Junction curve which remained single track.

The Grange Junction to Grange North Junction curve closed in 1963 and the signal box closed. (Some sources suggest 1966.)

Grange station closed in 1968.

The railway was reduced to a single track between Keith and Huntly in 1970.

The branch and triangle are now closed, but the main line remains open as a single track. A modern house is now on the station site. The westbound platform remains.


Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67