This was a two platform terminus station, with an island platform. One platform was covered by a station trainshed and the other was outside the trainshed, to the seaward side. The goods yard was also to the seaward side, approached from Tillynaught. The station building was two storey, with a timber roof trainshed with stone walls. (The trainshed was similar to those surviving on the former Highland Railway at Thurso and Wick.)
A line continued into the harbour itself, but this was cut back. There was a locomotive shed on the south side of the terminus, at the station throat. It was approached from the east, the station, over a turntable. A rather interesting design had a carriage shed to the south, accessed from the same turntable but a 90 degrees to the shed.
There was a signal box, opened in 1900, on the north side of the line, just west of the station platform.
The signal box was replaced with a ground frame in 1960. The station closed to passengers in 1964. However the line remained open for goods until 1968, coinciding with the closure of the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway).
After closure the station survived for a few years and was then cleared. After remaining clear for some time it has now been redeveloped.
There was a narrow gauge railway here after closure, now closed. It ran west from the station site to the holiday camp.
To the east, across the River Deveron, was another terminus, Macduff, of the Macduff Extension (Great North of Scotland Railway).
National Cycle Route 1 passes close by the former station.
Golf Club House Halt
| Macduff Shed|
Macduff (Banff) Shed
Portsoy Harbour Junction
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Temple of Venus
Inverboyndie Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/06/1846||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.The route was to be Aberdeen to Inverness with Grange to Banff and Portsoy, Orton to Garmouth, Alves to Burghead [1st] branches.
|30/07/1859||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Line opened (including Portsoy Harbour); stations at Knock, Cornhill, Tillynaught, Ladysbridge, Banff and Portsoy [1st]. Conditional halts were at Barry [GNSR], Ordens and Millegan.
|/ /1910||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Banff Harbour branch dismantled.
|06/07/1964||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Banff to Tillynaught closed to passengers.
|06/05/1968||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Banff to Tillynaught closed to freight.
|/ /1980||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Banff buildings demolished.
|/ /1984||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
West Buchan Railway opened on former trackbed at Banff.
|/ /1984||Boddam Branch (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Port Erroll Narrow Gauge Railway track moved to the former Banff station site to become the West Buchan Railway.