This was a two platform station to the east of Alves Junction. The main station building, now a house, was on the eastbound platform. The east of the station is crossed by a road bridge.
When the branch to Burghhead [1st] first opened it ran parallel to the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway to the station before making the connection at the station, which had a single platform. A signal box opened around 1862 with the opening of the branch.
This was later altered in 1887 when a passing loop opened at the station. The junction was just west of the station. The signal box was replaced with two boxes. Alves East was at the east end of the station and on the south side of the loop. Alves Junction was at the west end and was also on the south side of the loop.
There was a goods yard at the west end of the station, north of the line. It was reached by reversal from the station.
The branch closed to passengers in 1931.
The station closed in 1965. The signal boxes both closed in 1966 and the loop closed.
The junction was moved west to make connection where the lines meet. The branch is currently out of use.
The station platforms remain with the station building, in use as a house, on the former eastbound platform.
| Alves Junction|
Newton Quarry Siding Signal Box
Glen Moray Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/06/1846||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.The route was to be Aberdeen to Inverness with Grange to Banff and Portsoy, Orton to Garmouth, Alves to Burghead [1st] branches.
|22/12/1862||Burghead Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway)|
Alves to Burghead Harbour (Burghead [1st]) opened.
|14/09/1931||Hopeman Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway)|
Hopeman to Alves closed to passengers.
Forres and Area Past and Present
Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)
OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)
Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman