Burghead [1st] (1862-1892)
Opened on the Burghead Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the original terminus of the line from Alves. The Station Hotel still stands nearby today. Platforms remain, both passenger and goods. The engine shed was to east and lines carried on to quaysides to west.
The station building was stone built and of two storeys with a house style.
The station and Burghead Harbour line were left on a short branch when the line was extended to Hopeman. The junction between the extension and original line was immediately south of Burghead [2nd] station.
Goods lines continued past the former station to serve the quqysides at the harbour. Lines served the north side of the South Pier, the North Quay and, via turnplates, the North Pier (the harbour's western breakwater).
Burghead Shed was to the east, a two road shed, and to its north was the goods yard. Both were approached from the 1st station to the west.
The line east to the Burghead [2nd] approach closed in 1966.
The passenger platform remains. This is the westernmost of the remaining platforms, close to a small car park. Alongside the remaining loading banks, to the east of the passenger platform, is a 'B' listed granary, three storeys and and attic, still stands in the east of the site. Now converted into flats.
Greens of Drainie
Rifle Range Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Newton Quarry Siding Signal Box
St Peter^s Kirk and Parish Cross Duffus
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|