Alves Junction (1862-)
Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
Opened on the Burghead Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway).
This is the junction for the Hopeman Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway). Both the branch and main line are single track. The branch joins so that trains from the east may run straight onto the branch. The junction is not far west of the former Alves station.
When first installed, the line ran east to Alves station with the main line as if a double track railway. The lines joined at the loop of Alves station. Alves Junction signal box was at the west end of the station.
The junction was moved west with the closure of the station loop, probably in 1966.
The branch closed to regular traffic in 1992, but re-opened briefly in 1998.
Other railway and industry locations
Newton Quarry Siding Signal Box
Glen Moray Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|21/01/1998||Hopeman Branch (Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway)|
Alves Junction to Roseisle Maltings re-opened to freight. The line was mothballed shortly afterwards.