Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building, of two storeys, was on the southbound/eastbound platform. There was a goods yard at the north end, approached from the south.
There is very little at Orton itself, other than the former station and former junction.
When first opened this was a single platform station. The northbound/westbound platform and loop were added later. North and South signal boxes opened at the station in 1887. The north box was on the east side, just north of the goods yard, and the south box was also on the east side, at the south end of the loop.
To the south of the station was Orton Junction where the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway was met by the Morayshire Railway. Orton Junction was a very short lived station (1858-1859) replaced by Orton.
After closure of the Orton to Rothes section the track remained in place for some time, lifted at the junction itself.
To the east the main line crossed the Boat o' Brig Viaduct.
The loop was taken out in 1947 and boxes closed. The eastbound platform remained in use.
The station closed to passengers in 1964. The sidings were taken out in 1965.
The railway remains open. The station building at Orton is now a house. A small porch covered an area alongside the platform and there is a roundel for a now removed platform facing clock.
Other railway and industry locations
Boat o^ Brig Viaduct
Coleburn Gravel Pit
Fochabers Town Shed
Craigellachie Bridge [Road]
Glen Grant Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Pre-opening inspection of Orton to Rothes line (passed but frustratingly the Elgin to Orton section of the [Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway] fails).
Orton (on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway) to Rothes opened.
Elgin East to Rothes via Longmorn authorised (avoiding difficulties using the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway's Elgin to Orton section).