Boat o' Brig Viaduct

Location type


Name and dates

Boat o^ Brig Viaduct (1859-)

Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.


This single track viaduct crosses the River Spey to the east of Orton. Also known as Spey Bridge, one of many, or Orton Bridge.

In case of severe floodwaters, not unknown on the Spey, the bridge has high cutwaters. The bridge is 220yds long with a single metal span approached by six stone arches to the north. Joseph Mitchell's original bridge was an open box girder, through which trains ran. The bridge is 70 ft above the normal river level.

The original bridge was similar to Findhorn Viaduct [Forres].

Although the railway opened in 1858 the viaduct was not complete until early 1859 and for a short time passengers had to de-train and use the neighbouring road bridge.

This girder was replaced in 1906 with a lattice girder section. A temporary signal box was provided during the works. The new girder was manufactured by Head, Wrightson and Co Ltd. The new bridge was constructed inside the original box girder which was then removed.

Another bridge, the disused Speymouth Viaduct, is further north at Garmouth.


Viaduct River Spey


Spey Bridge Orton Bridge

Nearby stations
Orton Junction
Tauchers Platform
Birchfield Platform
Fochabers Town
Balnacoul Halt
Coleburn's Platform
Drummuir Curlers Platform
Gerbity Crossing
Collie Crossing
Sourden Tunnel
Craigellachie Bridge
Craigellachie Bridge [Road]
Coleburn Gravel Pit
Fochabers Town Shed
Taminurie Tunnel
Auchroisk Distillery
Speyburn Distillery
Glen Grant Distillery
Glenspey Distillery
Glenrothes Distillery
Glentauchers Distillery
Aultmore Distillery
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.

Dedication Plaques

The plaques from this bridge are now on display at Inverness station.

One reads

I & A. J. RWY.
This railway extending from the town of Nairn to Keith.
Completing the communication between London and Inverness.
Was begun in Oct 1856 and opened for public traffic on 18 August 1858:
and this viaduct crossing the Spey was completed in 20 months.
Contractors for masonry, David Mitchell and Chas. Brand, Montrose.
For iron work, Messrs Fairbairn and Sons. Manchester.
Engineer Joseph Mitchell F.R.S.E. Inverness.

and the other

Left panel
Alex Matheson Esq of Ardross M.P. Chairman
The Right Hon The Earl of Seafield
CEO Loch Esq London
Eneas W MacKintosh Esq of Raigmore
Sir James D.H. Elphinstone Bart. M.P.
Wm. Jas. Taylor Esq. of Rothiemay
Sir Alex. P. Gordon Cumming Bart. of Altyre

Right panel
The Hon. Thos. Chas. Bruce Deputy-Chairman
Alex. Inglis Roberson Esq. of Caithness
Captain Wm. Fraser-Tytler of Aldourie
The most nobile the Marquis of Stafford M.P.
John Blaikie Esq. Aberdeen
The Hon. George Skene Duff of Miltonduff


Forres and Area Past and Present

Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)

Old Forres

OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)

Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman