This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform, the town side platform.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the station, approached from the east.
Two signal boxes opened with the station in 1884. The west box was at the west end of the eastbound platform and the main box, the east box, at the east end of the westbound platform.
The west box closed in 1917, taken over by the east box. The remaining box closed in 1922 and the loop was lifted.
The station and line closed to passengers in 1968.
The main building survived closure for some time. The goods yard t has been replaced by many houses on a road called The Sidings. A station cottage survives at the west end of the former station.
The station was west of the Spey Viaduct. Much of the trackbed is now a footpath, except through the station site.
Greens of Drainie
| Speymouth Viaduct|
Fochabers Town Shed
Elgin Gas Works
Elgin Shed [2nd]
Elgin East Junction
Tugnet Ice House
Linksfield Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/06/1846||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.The route was to be Aberdeen to Inverness with Grange to Banff and Portsoy, Orton to Garmouth, Alves to Burghead [1st] branches.
|12/08/1885||Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Lossie Junction (Morayshire Railway) to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Calcots, Urquhart and Garmouth.
|01/05/1886||Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Tochieneal to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Cullen, Portknockie, Findochty, Portessie [GNSR], Buckie [GNSR], Nether Buckie, Portgordon and Fochabers [GNSR].
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
|Moray Coast Railways|
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway