Location type


Name and dates

Cullen (1886-1968)

Opened on the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway).


This was a single platform station, the platform being on a long gentle curve. The station building was similar to that which survives at Portsoy [2nd]. The goods yard was approached from the south, the lines running north from the point of junction.

A signal box opened with the station in 1886. This was at the east end of the curved line o the north side of the line where the goods yard sidings led off.

The station and goods yard were to the south and above the harbour, there being quite a steep climb up to the station.

To the west are several viaducts:
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct,
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct,
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge and
Cullen Burn Viaduct
in that order going west from the station.

The signal box, never a block post, closed in 1896.

The station and line closed in 1968.

The station site is now obliterated and occupied by housing, but the viaducts remain intact.

Cullen House is to the south west.


Cullen Skink - Wikipedia



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

01/05/1886Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)
Tochieneal to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Cullen, Portknockie, Findochty, Portessie [GNSR], Buckie [GNSR], Nether Buckie, Portgordon and Fochabers [GNSR].


Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
Moray Coast Railways
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway