Portsoy [2nd] (1884-1968)
Opened on the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. The station replaced the Portsoy [1st] terminus when the line was extended west to form the Moray Coast Railway.
The Loch of Soy was partly filled in at the south end to give land for the station.
There were two signal boxes. The north box was at the north west end of the southbound platform and the south box at the south end of the same platform. Both opened in 1884. The south box controlled one end of the loop and also the junction with the original Portsoy [1st] terminus.
The north box, the more minor of the two, closed in 1936 when taken over by the south box.
The remaining box closed in 1959 and the loop was taken out before closure, the westbound line lifted and station building and town side line left in place. A ground frame was fitted for access to Portsoy [1st].
The station and line closed in 1968.
The station building still stands and the platforms have been landscaped.
1st Portsoy & Fordyce Explorer Scouts
The trackbed is now the National Cycle Route 1 .
Golf Club House Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Portsoy Harbour Junction
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Macduff (Banff) Shed
Inverboyndie Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
|Moray Coast Railways|
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway