House of the Earls of Seafield who laid out the nearby new town of Cullen in the 1820s. The town was laid out closer to the sea, further from the house, replacing the existing settlement.
John Ogilvy-Grant (1815-1881), the 7th Earl of Seafield, was a director of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway (a constituent of the later Highland Railway). He did not wish the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway) to pass through the estate, instead forcing the railway to follow a route close to the coast requiring considerable earthworks and several viaducts: Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct, Cullen Castle Street Viaduct, Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge and Cullen Burn Viaduct. The earl did not live to see the line open in 1886.
The Seafields preferentially used Rathven station on the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway) rather than the much closer Cullen station.
Historic Environment - Cullen House
| Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge|
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct
Portsoy Harbour Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|