This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. The main station building was on the westbound platform. There was a goods yard to the south of the station approached from the east.
The station was briefly the terminus of the line from Portsoy [2nd] between 1884 and 1886. Extension west was challenging, involving a series of viaduct near Cullen.
The station had two boxes, both opened in 1886 on the line's extension. The west end (north box at the west end of the eastbound platform) was taken over by the main box at the east end (south box at the east end of the westbound platform) after 1917.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. The loop closed in 1966. The line closed in 1968.
Tochieneal is to the south of the station.
The platforms and loading banks remain, none of the station buildings other than the station cottage remain now in use as a house.
| Cullen Seafield Street Viaduct|
Cullen Castle Street Viaduct
Cullen North Deskford Street Bridge
Cullen Burn Viaduct
Portsoy Harbour Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1884||Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Portsoy [2nd] to Tochieneal opened. Stations opened: Portsoy [2nd], Glassaugh and Tochieneal.
|01/05/1886||Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway)|
Tochieneal to Garmouth opened. Stations opened: Cullen, Portknockie, Findochty, Portessie [GNSR], Buckie [GNSR], Nether Buckie, Portgordon and Fochabers [GNSR].
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
|Moray Coast Railways|
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway