This was a minor station with a long loop. The platforms were considerably shorter than the loop and close to its eastern end where a road bridge crossed the line. The main station building was on the westbound platform with a small waiting room opposite. The platforms were staggered, the eastbound platform being slightly to the west.
The westbound line was the loop, the eastbound line being straight through at either end.
The goods yard consisted of a single siding, on the south side, west of the platforms and approached from the east.
There was a signal box on the westbound platform, just west of the station building and footbridge.
Directly to the west of the loop was a short mineral line north to the Newton Quarries, access to the branch controlled by Newton Quarry Siding Signal Box and via a double headshunt.
The loop closed in 1947 and signal box 1948. After closure the signal box was moved to Elgin West to become the new Elgin West signal box.
The station closed in 1955. The siding was removed in 1965.
The railway remains open and is single track. Very little remains to be seen of the station but the road bridge remains over the line to its east.
The line passes over the Mosstowie Canal, a large field drain, to the east.
Greens of Drainie
Rifle Range Halt
| Newton Quarry Siding Signal Box|
Elgin Centre Signal Box
Elgin Shed [1st]
Elgin East Coal Yard
Elgin East Junction
Elgin Shed [2nd]
Elgin Gas Works
Glen Moray Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|16/11/2002||Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway|
Line flooding leads to closure. At Mosstowie the railway was five feet underwater and the goods yard at Elgin East flooded. Flood damage stretched from Elgin to Keith. Large landslip near Orton.
Forres and Area Past and Present
Landranger (27) Nairn & Forres, River Findhorn (OS Landranger Map)
OS Explorer Map (423) Elgin, Forres and Lossiemouth (OS Explorer Active Map)
Time Does Transfix: Recollections of a Forres Railwayman