Longmorn

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Longmorn (1862-1968)

Opened on the Morayshire Railway.
Opened on the Glenlossie Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a smaller building on the southbound. Both were in timber.

The signal box was at the north end, west side. The loop was fitted with tablet catchers to allow non-stop running through the station.

The goods yard was on the west side of the line, approached from the north. This connected with the Glenlossie Railway which served Longmorn Distillery, Benriach Distillery and Glenlossie Distillery.

The box closed in 1967.

The station and line closed in 1968.

The station remains in a good state of repair as it is maintained by the Longmorn Distillery.

The footbridge was relocated to Aviemore Speyside on the Strathspey Railway (Preserved).

Local

Longmorn Distillery

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
11/03/2020




Dates

03/07/1860Morayshire Railway
Elgin East to Rothes via Longmorn authorised (avoiding difficulties using the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway's Elgin to Orton section).
01/01/1862Morayshire Railway
Elgin [GNSR] to Rothes opened to passengers (Intermediate station opened at Longmorn).

Books


The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway