Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed. The railway provided a service from Grange to Portsoy [1st] and Banff. Later the Great North of Scotland Railway extended the Portsoy line to Lossie Junction on the Morayshire Railway; the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway). Following this the line provided a service from Cairnie Junction to Elgin East with a branch to Banff.

The line was also known as the Banffshire Railway after 1863.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.

Grange to Tillynaught

Grange junction to Tillynaught junction.

Grange

This was a two platform station for much of its existence.
...

More

Knock

This station was originally located to the south of the overbridge, with a siding approached from the south on the east side of the line. The single platform station was located on the east side of the line.
...

More

Glenbarry

This was a two platform station with a loop.
...

More

Tillynaught

This was a three platform station. There were two through platforms on the line via the Moray Coast and Buckie to Elgin East and a single platform on the branch to Banff. The branch platform had a loop on the line.
...

More


Tillynaught to Portsoy

Tillynaught junction to Portsoy [1st].

Tillynaught

This was a three platform station. There were two through platforms on the line via the Moray Coast and Buckie to Elgin East and a single platform on the branch to Banff. The branch platform had a loop on the line.
...

More

Portsoy [1st]

This former terminus is one of the most remarkable station survivors in Scotland. It has a station with a trainshed dating from 1859.
...

More


Tillynaught to Banff

Tillynaught Junction to Banff.

Tillynaught

This was a three platform station. There were two through platforms on the line via the Moray Coast and Buckie to Elgin East and a single platform on the branch to Banff. The branch platform had a loop on the line.
...

More

Ordens Platform

This was a single platform halt with a simple wooden shelter. The platform was on the south side of the line.
...

More

Ladysbridge

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the north side of the line with a siding on the south side, approached from the west. Later a second and then a third siding was added.
...

More

Banff

This was a two platform terminus station, with an island platform. One platform was covered by a station trainshed and the other was outside the trainshed, to the seaward side. The goods yard was also to the seaward side, approached from Tillynaught. The station building was two storey, with a...

More