Cairnie Junction

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cairnie Junction (1898-1968)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Opened on the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway).


Description

This was an exchange station. The main line remains open here but is now a single track with little hint of the former station. A platelayers hut remains, this was south of the station on the west side of the line. The track is the former westbound line, the eastbound being lifted. The kink of the line round the station has been straightened.

Trains could combine and divided here. A train from Aberdeen would divide into 'Coast' (via Buckie [GNSR]) and 'Glen' (via Dufftown) portions to Elgin [East].

The railway from Rothiemay to Keith doubled in 1898, in anticipation of the Moray Coast route opening.

The station consisted of an island platform with a tall signal box (opened with the station in 1898) at the west end and station building with canopies on all sides in the centre of the platform. The view from the box looked over the building. The box had a stone base and timber upper, similar to boxes elsewhere such as those at Kittybrewster.

This was the junction between the Great North of Scotland Railway's main line between Aberdeen and Keith, the line via the Moray Coast (Cullen and Buckie [GNSR]) to Elgin East, and its branch to Banff. The main line was double and the branch was double as far as Grange North Junction, the junction between these was just north of the station.

Down either side of the island platform was a platform line, loop line and siding.

The station, signal box and junction closed with the closure of the Moray Coast Railway (Great North of Scotland Railway) in 1968.

The railway was reduced to a single track between Keith and Huntly in 1970.


Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map