This was one of the junctions of the triangular junction former between the Great North of Scotland Railway and the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway, the other junctions being Grange Junction (to the west) and Grange South Junction (later Cairnie Junction) to the south. Grange North was actually in the east but was clearly named for the distinction from the south junction.
The curve from Grange was the original Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway line, opened 1859, which ran as a single track from the east end of that station on the main line of the Great North of Scotland Railway.
This line was met, in 1886, by a new curve from Grange South Junction. This opened with the Moray Coast line to provide a route from Aberdeen to Elgin East via the voast. Initially single track the curve was doubled in 1898 when the main GNoSR line was doubled.
Both curves were crossed on the level by a minor road to the immediate west of the junction.
A signal box opened with the junction in 1886. This was located in the 'V' of the junction and on the east side of the level crossings.
The curve from Grange closed in 1963 (some sources suggest 1966 but the box at Grange closed in 1963). Despite this the signal box remained open as it controlled the end of the double track section. The box remained open until the closure of the railway in 1968.
The GNoSR main line, nearby, remains open as a single track railway.
Strathisla Mills Platform
| Deveron Viaduct|
Avochie Signal Box
Newmill Signal Box
Keith Shed [GNSR] [2nd]
Keith Shed [GNSR] [1st]
Keith North Signalbox
Keith Shed [HR]
Strathmill Distillery Siding
Keith West Signal Box
Keith Air Ministry Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|07/03/1960||Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway|
Grange to Grange North Junction closed to all traffic.
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
|Moray Coast Railways|
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway