Wardhouse [House]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Wardhouse [House]

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

A Palladian mansion by John Adam built in 1757 for the Gordons.

Abandoned after the Second World War, when used for billeting. Presently a ruin.

Wardhouse station was opened to the south in 1854.


Tags

House

Nearby stations
Wardhouse [House]
Kennethmont
Wardhouse
Gartly
Insch
Huntly
Buchanstone
Oyne
Alford
Rothiemay
Wartle
Whitehouse
Rothienorman
Pitcaple
Inveramsay

Other railway and industry locations
Wardhouse Drive Bridge
Alford Carriage Shed
Alford Shed
Avochie Signal Box
Deveron Viaduct
Tourist/other
Ardmore Distillery
Leith Hall
Gartly Castle
Picardy Symbol Stone
Hill of Dunnideer
Huntly Castle
St Mary^s Kirk Auchindoir
Maiden Stone
Kildrummy Castle
Loanhead Stone Circle
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


Sir James Alexander Gordon


1782-1869

Thought to be the inspiration for C S Forester's Horatio Hornblower. Became Admiral of the Fleet in 1854. On his death described as 'The Last of Nelson's Captains'.

Involved in:

1794 Battle of the Glorious First of June
1797 Battle of Cape St Vincent
1798 Battle of the Nile
1814 War of 1812 (which was still in progress)
1815 Battle of New Orleans