Deveron Viaduct

Location type

Bridge


Name and dates

Deveron Viaduct (1856-)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.


Description

This is a formerly double track viaduct over the River Deveron east of the former Rothiemay station. The viaduct carries one track today.

The original viaduct here was slightly to the north, a masonry arched viaduct with 5 arches. When the line from Aberdeen to Keith was doubled in 1900 this was replaced by today's bridge. For a short while, during construction, the line from the east singled over the old viaduct, the east approach being controlled by Avochie Signal Box.

Both bridges coexisted, with the north one out of use. It was demolished in 1978. Ironically, the double track bridge was reduced to single in 1970.

The bases of the piers of the original bridge can still be found.


Tags

Viaduct

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: B