Keith Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Keith Junction (1862-)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Opened on the Keith and Dufftown Railway.

Opened on the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway.


Description

This refers to the actual junction. For the station see Keith.

The line east to Rothiemay was doubled in 1898.

Keith Junction was re-built in 1905 to allow faster running between the Highland Railway onto the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Prior to that date the HR line kinked hard away from the east end of the station from a point immediately west of the junction between the original GNSR mainline (the bay platforms) and the Keith and Dufftown Railway. Keith North and South signal boxes (both GNSR) and Newmill Signal Box (all from 1898) were closed to be replaced by today's Keith Junction signal box. A small engine shed to the north of the original junction was removed during the re-alignment. The re-alignment changed the bay platforms into a branch from the Dufftown line.

In the late 1960s it was rebuilt again to entirely remove the kink on the Inverness route, assisted by a general track rationalisation.

In 1970, when the line to Aberdeen was singled to Huntly, the platform lines were removed and a loop created at the junction.


Tags

Junction