This two platform station was the principal station between St Andrews and Anstruther [2nd]. The building was of a larger design to the rest of the line. It was on the western edge of Crail. The building was on on the southbound - town side - platform.
There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the north. A signal box was at the north end of the platform.
Initially there was no loop, the southbound platform being the original platform. The loop was installed in 1898.
The station closed and the line to the north closed in 1965 and the signal box was reduced to a ground frame. The line to the south being retained briefly for goods. In 1966 the line south closed.
Portions of platform and the main station building survive. Much of the station site became the East Neuk Water Garden Centre (since closed?)
St Andrews [2nd]
St Andrews [1st]
| Kirkmay Level Crossing|
Thirdpart Level Crossing
Coal Farm Coal Pit
Kellie Castle and Garden
Newark Castle [St Monance]
St Mary's Church
St Andrews Cathedral
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|05/10/1965||Anstruther and St Andrews Railway|
St Andrews to Crail closed to freight.
|18/06/1966||Anstruther and St Andrews RailwayEast of Fife Railway|
Crail to Leven [2nd] closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Crail, History and Guide: The Story of an Ancient Scottish Burgh
Fife's Lost Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway
The Leven & East of Fife Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
The St Andrews Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)