Cruden Bay Hotel

Location type


Name and dates

Cruden Bay Hotel (1899-1939)

Opened on the Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway (Great North of Scotland Railway).

Description

This grand hotel and resort was established by the Great North of Scotland Railway following the success of their Palace Hotel in Aberdeen. It was built in the Scottish baronial style, using local red sandstone. The frontage overlooked the large sandy Cruden Bay beach from a height.

Something of the appearance of the hotel can be found in the design of the former Elgin East station which remains standing today.

The hotel was advertised as Splendidly Equipped. Faces South Adjoins First Tees. Magnificent Views. The telegraph code is particularly revealing 'Health, Cruden Bay.'

There was an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course.

Unlike similar developments Gleneagles Hotel and Turnberry Hotel it was not a long term success. It closed in 1939 and after use by the military it was demolished, which began in 1947. The stone was reused to build a house for Charles Alexander, of Charles Alexander Transport, at Bush near Montrose (once served by Lauriston station). (Note: he owned Brotherton Castle, the stone was perhaps used there for its reconstruction.)

The hotel was connected to Cruden Bay station by an electric tramway.

The hotel was grand. It had a ballroom, a golf course (still open and at the site of the former hotel), croquet green, bowling green and tennis court. Boating and fishing were available nearby.

Cruden Bay Golf Club

The housing development on Links View occupies much of the site of the former hotel.

The site was west of Cruden Bay itself and Port Errol.

Tags

Hotel golf tennis bowling croquet boating fishing

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map

Dates

  /06/1899Boddam Branch (Great North of Scotland Railway)
Cruden Bay Hotel and Cruden Bay Hotel Tramway (Great North of Scotland Railway) opened.
  /  /1947Boddam Branch (Great North of Scotland Railway)
Cruden Bay Hotel demolished from 1947 to 1952. Remains used to build Charles Alexander's house at Bush near Montrose.